No minimum order required and free UK-wide delivery on orders over £125

Saurwein, Chi Riesling, Elgin 2023


  • Type:


  • Grape:


  • Country:

    South Africa

  • Region:

    Western Cape

  • Vegan:


  • Area:


  • Organic:


  • ABV:


  • Winemaker:

    Jessica Saurwein

  • Bottle Size:


In Stock


Chi means “life force” and Chi stands for CHIUTA (an African rain god). Fragrant citrus blossom, yellow stone fruits, white pear, ginger, Piña colada, honeysuckle, flint. May the “Chi” be with you!

  • Production Notes
  • Producer
  • Delivery Information

Situated in the fertile Elgin valley, the picturesque vineyard site inspired the creation of this crisp, handcrafted Riesling. All fruit comes from Elgin with 65% from Casey’s Ridge Vineyard on loamy and very rocky red slate soils. The other 35% from the De Rust Vineyard on decomposed Bokkeveld Shale. Grapes were hand-picked, cooled, then hand-sorted, destemmed and pressed. Spontaneous fermentation took place in stainless steel tanks, which lasted about 6 weeks until optimal residual sugar balance achieved at about 14,0 g/ l. The wine was prepared for bottling and bottled after 2 months in tank.

Embarking on her professional journey in 2015, Jessica began crafting her own wines while holding a full-time position in Wine Marketing. Throughout her career, Peter Allan Finlayson of Crystallum winery emerged as an influential mentor and supporter, granting her access to a prime vineyard plot in the high-altitude Kaaimansgat for her Pinot Noir Nom. The birth of her first child in October 2017 marked a pivotal moment, as she stepped away from her marketing role to embrace motherhood and dedicate herself fully to making her own wines.
Today, Jessica concentrates on meticulously handcrafting wines from her two favourite varietals, Pinot Noir and Riesling. In August 2021, she and her family fulfilled a lifelong dream by moving to Waterval Farm, located in the Stanford foothills, just 12 km from Walker Bay in the Western Cape. This region is celebrated for its cool climate and old Cape soils, conditions that are ideal for producing some of South Africa's finest wines. Waterval Farm represents not just a professional highlight and venture for Jessica but also the realization of a childhood dream that merges her twin passions for wine and horses. Her approach to winemaking is deeply rooted in regenerative farming practices. She focuses on nurturing healthy vineyards and integrating farm animals into the ecosystem for healthier soil and greater biological diversity. 

We deliver throughout the United Kingdom and the European Union and all delivery charges for these destinations are enabled in the checkout. We also provide the option to collect from any of our shops.

All UK mainland orders should be delivered within 2-3 working days.

For more information on UK delivery please click here and for EU deliveries please click here.

Customer Reviews

Be the first to write a review