Home / New Arrivals / Gaia Wines, Wild Ferment Moschofilero 2019 | The Good Wine Shop
Gaia Wines, Wild Ferment Moschofilero 2019
Leon Karatsalos and Yiannis Paraskevopoulos
A complex and lifted wine with characteristic aromas of rose, jasmine and sweet lemon underpinned by delicious buttery notes. Nerve and tension perfectly balance the aromatic and richly flavoured palate.
This is a wild ferment Moschofilero. The grapes underwent a pre-fermentation cold soak on the skins for 48 hours. Spontaneous fermentation took place with wild yeasts. 25% of the must was fermented at 28°C in barrels, of which 1/3 was French oak, 1/3 American oak and 1/3 French Acacia; the remaining 75% fermented at low temperatures in stainless steel tanks to retain the aromatic varietal characteristics. The wine was aged on its lees in a combination of stainless steel tanks and wooden casks for four months, with frequent bâtonnage to impart texture.
The 25-year old Moschofilero vines are grown in the village of Agiorgitika, on the plateau of Mantineia, at an altitude of 600 to 800 metres. The vines flourish on the south-westerly facing slopes, where they are planted in sandy-clay soils. The climate is cold, with plentiful rains and snow during the winter, and relatively low temperatures with frequent rain in the summer. The harvest takes place later in autumn as the grapes ripen slowly due to this cooler microclimate, producing aromatic fruit with naturally balancing acidity.